Monday, April 4, 2011

the beginning


This picture was taken on September 8, 2001. Our story, however, begins months prior to this.  In my own words, from my perspective this is how it began...
I was 13.  He was 15.  He went to football games on Thursday nights.  I happened to be a cheerleader.  He would tell me later that it was the light in my eyes that attracted him to me.  Through a chain of friends we came together in the cafeteria one morning to exchange pictures.  We hugged.  I thought he was attractive:) I was extremely shy.  We talked on the phone sometimes and I thought he had a "hot" voice.  Eventually we began "going out." The definition of Michael Joe and Hannah "going out" at this point consisted of meeting in the cafeteria in the morning (Hannah hardly saying a word) and then once more after school before the buses rolled in. 
MY JOURNAL ENTRIES:
April 30, 2001
I have a boyfriend.  His name is Michael.  He is portuguese and he plays on the football team.  And he's HOT (of course.)  
May 16, 2001
Today Michael left a rose and a ladybug that says "love bug" on it, in my 4th period  class. Awhhhh.  It was so sweet.  He's a really sweet guy.  He knows all of my standards and respects them.  One problem is he's not Mormon.  I really like him! I can't believe we're going out.  
May 24, 2001
My grade feels like its dropping in math! aaahh! Well, all of my classes are dropping.  I think it might be because I am too into Michael! I really need to balance everything out.
Michael says he has a surprise for me and won't tell me what it is!  Awwhhh he's such a sweetheart! I've found that I like Michael a lot and I invited him to a church dance when I turn 14! Aaaah...I can't wait! I told him he has to wear a tie and he says that is awesome.  He says any chance he gets to be with me he'll take.  
May 26, 2001
Michael and I wanted to see each other after school today.  I was waiting for him but a bus left and Jenny freaked out and dragged me to the bus.  We set down our stuff and asked Rita if we could say "hi" to someone, she told us to hurry.  When we got over there Cynthia said we just missed Michael, he had left to the crosswalk :(  I was sooooo mad and sad!! Cuz its the weekend and its a 3 day weekend! 




I decided (after Michael went through the silliness and humiliation of wearing a turtle neck in June to my 8th grade graduation just to make a good impression on my parents) to break Michael's heart for the first time when the summer began.  I felt bad.  The prophets always taught us that we should not be in serious relationships before the age of 16.  I wanted to heed that counsel.  I also wanted to be with Michael. 

JOURNAL:
Summer!!!
Michael and I broke up...I broke up with him because I feel like I shouldn't have a boyfriend right now.  I read in the NEW ERA magazine President Gordon B. Hinckley's words on dating he said if we shouldn't date then we shouldn't have boyfriend/girlfriend relationships before 16 either.  


to be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment